Our guest integration process is customized based on a person’s first Point of Contact, how they first encounter us.
2 “Reserved for First Time Guests” parking spots
- PowerPoint Preservice Slide
Welcome to Shepherd of the Ridge. We hope today will be just the beginning of your time with us.
We want to get to know you and are serious about making a difference in our community, so if this is your first time worshiping with us, please complete the Guest Information insert in your program and leave it with us, and we’ll donate $5 to Love INC., a local organization that helps without hurting, giving a hand-up instead of a handout.
- Parking Lot/Entry
- Guest Parking (3 spots designated)
- Greeter with Guest Packets in hand
- Sanctuary Greeter to watch for new faces and welcome after guest sits
- Coffee/tea/water on back table, Keurig, water pitchers for drinking or to refill Keurig, ice bucket, paper racks for newsletters and other documents on table so they take up less space, cups, lids, napkins
First Time Guests
- Red Guest Packet: Custom folders/envelopes
- (In bulletin: Fill out & turn in card, we donate $5 to Love, INC., a local organization that helps by giving a hand up, not a hand out)
- CD: Fountain of New Life (worship band) music
- DVD: Vision, DQuest, Journey Groups, Family Secrets Sermon Series
- Documents: Future magazine, Gospel statement, communion statement
- Fridge Magnet
- Service Feedback Form w/ extra $1 donation
- Post-service look-around: Before you leave the sanctuary, look around you, find someone you don’t know well, and introduce yourself
- Greeter inviting them back
- Hospitality team: Someone invite them to lunch (Simple for the 1st service people who go out for brunch after. They could pitch in to cover the guest’s bill.)
- Phone call: thanks, hope to see you again, anything I can pray about for you or someone you know?
- Email with link to service, online survey, share, etc.
- Hand-written postcard
- If made prayer request, phone follow-up a week later
- 2nd Time Guests
- Arrival/Preservice (Greeter watches for those parking in guest spots)
- Greeter asks if already received guest packet, if so, offers next steps packet
- Usher welcomes back after seeing next steps packet & points out hospitality table
- Usher points guest out to Sanctuary Greeter, who also says welcome back
- Post-service look around
- Greeter Invite back
- Make sure got packet
Next Steps Packet
- Blue for easy identification
- DQuest manual
- Sermon DVD set: some new series, CD set until then with Family Secrets series
- Sign-up sheet with SASE: Family member list; (DQuest, Journey Group, audition for band, AV team, welcome team (greeter/usher), marriage enrichment, community action team, intergenerational incarnational recreation team, CLM), what are your hobbies?; description of different items on sheet; will donate $5 if return sheet or use online form; Next steps & contact info for different life situations (As we connect the people in our community to Christ’s love, we strengthen each other as we make a difference side-by-side. We accomplish this through spiritual training and compassionate kindness to those in need.)
- Voucher for free DVD movie next visit (With DVD comes pass to get access to Table after next visit)
- Phone call: thank-you, invite back, offer to pray
- Email like 1st visit, link to online sign-up form
- Prayer request follow-up a week later
- Parent Night Presentation & more info sheet
- November kids sing in service: use standard guest protocol
See separate manual
God & Grub
- Informal over dinner/pizza and/or non-word game like Uno
- Everyone invited to bring questions about God, no question off-limits, no minimum participation, silent observers welcome. Adult, teen, or kid; not cross-generational except leader.
- Led by DQuest mentor & apprentice
- Separate teen & adult events
- Meet at restaurant or other public space allowing food (park, etc.), nothing with too much background noise so all can hear. Corner booths or picnic tables work especially well.
- Ppt slide: Got questions about God or the Bible? Got doubts? Got friends with questions or doubts? Or just want to hear some forbidden questions asked & discussed? Meet us at the next God & Grub: a meal at a local restaurant where no question is off-limits, and anyone is welcome.
- Suggested Catalyst questions:
- What keeps people away from God?
- What’s your experience with churches, good or bad?
- If you could ask God one question, what would it be?
- If God had a job in our community, what would He like to do?
- What is the best objection you’ve heard to Christianity?
- Would you like to have Jesus at your Super Bowl party?
- End with Next Steps handout like 2nd time guest
Not normally a first point of contact, but rather a destination for the rest.
- Closing program Sunday morning during service
- Standard guest protocol
- Picnic following service: opportunity for congregation to make connections
- Begin DiscipleQuest
- If LCMS member, Seasoned Veteran, train to honorary apprentice
- If not, begin as Trainee
- Baptized member after Meet the Mystery
- Communicant & Voting Member once Honorary Apprentice
- At end of Member mission, honorary trainees complete membership class as final challenge and sign a Membership Covenant.